Hello, friends! It’s been a long while since I have posted anything. I’ve been busy writing, parenting, and living.
The Corona virus has changed life pretty rapidly and remarkably in the past few weeks. While my kids are schooling remotely, I am trying to regain my footing in this new reality. Baking always eases anxiety! I craved something moist, barely sweet and rich in flavor. I found a few different recipes for orange muffins but I was appalled by the amount of sugar! So I halved the sugar and used raw honey instead. I took a page out of Ina’s book and added an orange juice glaze at the end for added sweetness. I think they are perfect and they are VERY moist. They taste just like orange marmalade. Perfect with a cup of tea!
Orange Marmalade Muffins
Yield 22 muffins
I baked these to use up some oranges I had in my fruit bowl, sprucing up a basic orange almond cake recipe. I halved the sugar and replaced it with raw honey. Feel free to add 1/4 cup more honey if you prefer this to be a VERY sweet treat. I think it's a perfect, moist and barely sweet orange muffin. Because you use the whole orange, including the rind, it reminds me of orange marmalade. Try these in the morning slathered with salted butter!
- 6 medium naval oranges (I used Cara Cara)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups fine ground almond flour
- generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- juice of 3 oranges
- 2 T honey or sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash the oranges and place 3 of them in sturdy saucepan and cover with water.
- Boil the oranges for about 30 minutes.
- While the oranges are boiling, line two muffin tins with paper liners, or butter and flour well. If using a cake pan, butter and flour well, and use parchment rounds for the bottom. Butter and flour the parchment as well.
- Remove the oranges from water and let cool. Slice into quarters. Remove peel from 1 orange and set aside*. Add the orange quarters to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend. Keep it chunky. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Add vanilla, salt, honey and mix well. Add the almond flour and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Add the pureed oranges to the bowl and mix well.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, fill each muffin tin.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 12-17 mins (check often). They are ready when a toothpick comes out clean. If making a cake, use a 9 inch round cake pan and bake for about 40-50 mins.
- While muffins bake, juice three oranges and add to a small saucepan with the honey or sugar. Boil the juice for about 12 minutes until it reduces by about half and is syrupy.
- While muffins are cooling, poke each one several times with a toothpick and spoon warm orange juice over each one.
Serve immediately, or refrigerate.
*If you are getting fancy, thinly slice the orange peel and toss with a few pinches of cinnamon and some sugar for decoration!
Courses Dessert, Snack, Breakfast