Ginger Curried Winter Vegetable Soup
This vegan and gluten-free recipe was made in the Instant Pot so took less than an hour from start to finish.
If you don't have an Instant Pot, get one. I'm just kidding. (Well, sort of.)
This soup will take more time on the stove top but will be just as delicious.
The ginger makes this soup have a nice mellow kick at the end. Leave out if you don't like ginger. The curry is very mellow, so feel free to add more.
This soup is hearty, warming, and perfect for a cold afternoon or for dinner. Serve with a hearty salad of endive, arugula, pears, walnuts, and prosciutto for a yummy meal.
So put on your favorite podcast and get to choppin'!
- 1 T grass-fed ghee or coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 thumb-size piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped (or sub parsnips)
- 2 small butternut squashes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp. tumeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot to saute function*. Add ghee to the pot and add onion, apple, celery, garlic, ginger and spices to the pot. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add carrots, squash, broth, coconut milk, vinegar and salt and pepper. (Make sure not to go over the fill line.)
- Set Instant Pot to high-pressure cook and set timer for 4 minutes. When cooking is done, quick release steam.
- Transfer soup to a blender in batches and blend until smooth, or use a stick blender in the instant pot for a one-pot soup!
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
*If not using Instant pot, follow same directions, but instead of pressure cooking, add broth to cover vegetables and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes until vegetable are soft. Then go to step 4.
Recipe by Naturally Whole at https://naturallywhole.net/2019/02/01/ginger-curried-root-vegetable-soup/