Let’s face it, when it comes to better health many of us know what we should be doing.
So why don’t we do them?
I would argue that we don’t do these things because they aren’t connected to our daily lives in a meaningful way.
I know I need to exercise and eat well. Who doesn’t? But the key to actually making things happen lies in how we form daily habits.
Here are 5 things you can do TODAY to start building habits that will lead to greater change.
- Drink water upon waking. No, it’s not a fancy or complicated habit. Drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning before coffee or tea or matcha. You can add fresh lemon or a shot of apple cider vinegar if you wish (these both aid in liver cleansing). By making water your “first thing” you are not only getting a boost of needed hydration in the morning, you are starting your morning with wellness. You are telling yourself “I am a person who values health.” And, voila, you are!
- Eat S-L-O-W-L-Y. That’s right. Chill the F out on the fork, please. Actually put the fork down between bites and breathe. Don’t look at a screen while you eat (and make sure your kids aren’t either!). Practice mindful eating by just slowing down and savoring the food that you are grateful to have. And when you have had enough, put the fork down. Save what you didn’t eat for later when your body tells you to nourish it again.
- Change up your routine. Take a different route to work. Take a Citibike to work or school. Drive a different route. Listen to a new radio station or a great podcast. Notice what feels different and what you like about it. Look up, take a breath. Eat lunch outside instead of at your desk. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. We all get stuck in a rut and our brains and bodies thank us when we introduce something new and novel. It brings us back to the present, and to our awareness of our surroundings.
- Schedule your exercise. Look at that cool calendar on your phone! Use it to your advantage and actually set days and times to move your body. WALK THE DOG- 5:30 pm-6:30 pm is going to be in your phone. Maybe you don’t need a full hour, but what if you did actually throw on your sneakers and run the dog around for an hour with no intention of anything but the joy of playing with your dog? And if you don’t enjoy the movement you are getting, find a different way to move. Some days I go to a SOULcycle class, some days I walk a ton just getting where I am going, some days I use AAPTIV app to get some strength training in. It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as 1. you actually DO it and 2. you enjoy (most) of it. So go ahead and sign up for that cool yoga class you keep walking past.
- Get in bed 30 mins earlier. That’s right. Get in bed a full 30 minutes before you intend to sleep. Don’t look at screens. Or buy these cool glasses if you do need to look at screens. Read an old-fashioned book just for pleasure, with your kids or just with yourself. Find a way to wind down at the end of the day. Maybe a hot bubble bath, a glass of wine or a quick chat with a friend or hell- get in the bath with a glass of wine and call that friend! Most us aren’t getting a good 7-9 hours of sleep a night, which can wreak havoc with our hormones, moods and overall health. So even if it’s just for today, make an effort to get in bed 30 minutes earlier. You’ve earned it.
Start doing these things TODAY and watch your health improve.
And if you are interested in working with a health coach, contact me for a free health consultation.