Miso-Lime Curried Lentils with Sweet potatoes & Cabbage
Yield 4 servings
The weather is turning crispy here in New York and I'm craving stews and warming spiced dishes. But some times we think cozy stews have to take a long time and I'm here to tell you they don't! I made this lentil dish this summer when it was raining and it was perfect. Once you are done chopping, it's really just throwing ingredients into two pots. This 2-pot plant-based meal is ready in under thirty minutes, thanks to the quick-cooking red lentils. Chopping the sweet potato into a small dice speeds up the cooking!
Double it and have lots of leftovers for the week or freeze for a meal when you don't feel like cooking. I encourage you to play around with the spices and flavors too! I even had time to roast a head of cauliflower and made a pot of forbidden black rice to go with it (I knew my kids would eat the rice and the lentils, but wouldn't touch the potatoes!)
The sweet potatoes and cabbage would also make a standout side for pan-roasted salmon or pork tenderloin.
For Cabbage and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small head napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 shallor or 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 Thumb-sized piece of ginger root, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 TBSP ghee or coconut oil
- 1 TBSP curry powder
- 1 TBSP white miso paste
- 1/2 cup or more vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh squeezed lime juice
- Heat oil or ghee in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add potato, onion, garlic and ginger 5 mins or until onion is translucent.
- Add curry powder and cook, stirring about 2 mins.
- Add cabbage, miso, broth and a pepper and cover.
- Cook 6 mins or until cabbage is wilted.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add lime juice if desired.
Miso-Lime Curry Lentils
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp. white miso paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- Heat coconut oil in saute pan. Add curry powder and cook 1 min.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 15 mins until lentils are soft. Adjust seasonings.
Serve with a squeeze of lime.
Courses Main Course
Leave a Reply